Thursday 1 March 2012

Dydd Gwŷl Dewi Sant hapus!


The little Welsh girl, oh so long ago!
Saint David, (Dewi Sant in Welsh) is the patron saint of Wales. and he was one of many early saints who helped to spread Christianity among the pagan Celtic tribes of western Britain.  Go St. David!

You can wear one or both of the national emblems of Wales on your lapel to celebrate St. David.  Women usually wear the daffodil (the Welsh symbol which is in season during March) and the men wear the leek (St. David's personal symbol).  I will be wearing my daffodil pin and since DH doesn't like to wear the lovely felt leek I have for him, he wears a Welsh/American flag pin instead.  Maybe I can get Nathan to wear the leek?!



So close to blooming!
My neighbor's daffodils always bloom first!






So to get ready to celebrate St. David's Day, Nathan helped me make some Welsh cakes.  He is my little baker, and can't wait to grab the chair and help me out as only he can.

We changed them up a bit and made them stars since I looked everywhere for my "special" cutter and couldn't find it anywhere in my scattered baking supplies.




How sad, Griffin gave up sweets for Lent so maybe I'll freeze some for him later.  Or better yet, make a fresh batch next month.
 
  
 
Look what I found online, too cute!  I think I'm going to order it so I can make her for next year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi

Just stopping by to say Happy St David's Day.

You have a great help in the kitchen there!

DJ said...

Thank you for the lesson about St. David...how ignorant of me not to know about him (since I am part Welsh)!! I will have to remember this for next year...and way to go Nathan for being a great baker! See you Saturday! *Hugs*

Denise said...

They look good, even though I don't know what they are!