Friday 1 March 2013

Dydd Gwŷl Dewi Sant hapus!


The date of Dewi Sant's death is recorded as 1st March, but the year is uncertain - possibly 589. As his tearful monks prepared for his death, St David uttered these words: 'Brothers be ye constant. The yoke which with single mind ye have taken, bear ye to the end; and whatsoever ye have seen with me and heard, keep and fulfil' and as he died, 'Lords, brothers and sisters, be cheerful, keep the faith, and do those little things which ye have seen me do and heard me say.'
 
I will be wearing my daffodil pin and Nathan will be wearing his leek pin he received from my cousin in Wales.  It arrived yesterday afternoon, just in time!  She also sent him some sweets, which his brothers tried to get him to open and share.  We'll have to see if they behave!  Not sure if they'll be willing to wear a pin, although DH always does.

I know I wasn't a daffodil princess, but it does look like I'm in a field of yellow.
 
Nathan helped me for about three minutes make some Welsh cakes.  

I found a flower shaped cutter that I liked, so I used that instead of just a circular one.  These turned out a little more crispy than usual, maybe because I had to wait to cook them while I took Nathan to Tae Kwon Do.  Oh well, still yummy!

I thought about ordering this last year and didn't - now it's not for sale anymore.  Has anyone in GB ever seen it?

And it wouldn't be St. David's Day without a picture of Tennessee sent from my Dad!

8 comments:

Vickie said...

hahaha! The picture of Tennessee cracks me up. What an interesting post.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

My parents are in Wales at this very moment, visiting my sis.

I've not seen that little Welsh girl, do you know the designer's name?

Unknown said...

I've not seen the little welsh girl either but there is a welsh lady at http://www.nia-crossstitch.com. It's a Welsh site with designs from Wales - I love their Cariad/Love cushion design

DJ said...

And those cookies were delicious!! Thanks for the giggles today, I had fun. Can't wait for Monday!! *Hugs* I tried to change the settings so you could reply, can't seem to figure out how to do that. *sigh*

Linda said...

Your son is a cutie and those cookies look yummy.

Linda

Parsley said...

Looks like fun!

Nicola said...

We love our Welshcakes or Bakestones as they are sometimes called, they are eaten as fast as they come off the griddle.

Gillie said...

What a love.y day, it was so nice to meet you, Astrid!