Monday 7 December 2015

A pause in life

In the early morning of October 23rd, Nana left us peacefully in her sleep. She was 92 years young, with more energy that I had most days, still living on her own, and driving (but only during the day, if that).

I'm so glad all three boys have wonderful memories of her that they'll never forget. She used to have them come stay with her during the summer for a week, taking them to the swimming pool, shopping at the dollar store, and getting lunch at Old Country Buffet. We were lucky enough to only live about 40 minutes away, so we were able to see her often.

This picture was at Christmas in 2011, at our old house. What a beautiful woman!

Here she is celebrating her 90th birthday, what a great day it was with family and friends.

And she liked her Fireball!


    
This was a note from my parents -
     We were so sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing and for the grief it must cause you and the family but it was a merciful release from all her pain and suffering. Also, you have the knowledge she is now in a kinder and gentler place.
     Words never mean much at a time like this and I know from experience as I lost my grandmother, to whom I was very close, a week after losing my mother. Life is cruel but memories sustain and in time when the hurt and pain subside will bring you happiness remembering times past.
     0ur thoughts are especially with Gerry who has been the bulwark of the family these past demanding weeks and please convey our deepest sympathy to her and your mother.
     0n the few occasions we visited the lake it was always a relief for me when I espied your grandmother as she was larger than life, full of vim and vigor and the all American grand dame. Inasmuch, I knew I should be well entertained. She had a zest for life, a great wit which made her so refreshing and we shall not see her like again.
     You were truly blessed to have such a vibrant grandmother who didn't suffer fools gladly, or democrats either for that matter.
     Try not to be too down hearted as her life should be celebrated with all that was achieved from Little 0rleans, as she was a mover and a shaker. Take care and may God bring you peace and we are truly very sorry for your great loss.
     Thinking about you, Paul, and keeping you in our prayers.
    Love, Oma & Opa xx

But I have been stitching and doing other things, I'll be posting again soon...

8 comments:

Linda said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Astrid.

Linda

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

So sorry for your loss, she does look like she had a zest for life (and Fireball!). You have been blessed to have her as part of your family life for so long.

Vickie said...

What a blessing indeed to have your grandmother that many years! Take care.

CJ said...

Lovely tribute to your grandmother. I m so sorry for your loss.

CJ

Julie said...

Blessings to you and your family. xxx

Terri said...

So sorry for your loss! Hugs and prayers!

Gillie said...

We should all look so beautiful as we approach ninety! A life well lived but a great gap in your family, I'm sure. Sending hugs, sweet pea, hope to see you soon!

Maggee said...

I am so sorry for your loss. It was a blessing indeed, that your children got to spend time with her in the summertime. Wonderful memories for them! Hugs to you!